~ Leap Of Faith ~




The Collins Family
Photobucket

Monday, May 18, 2009

What an Adventure!!!

Yes, I know you all are cringing right about now, because this isn't a referral picture post, but I thought I would post about our adventure race that Wes and I did on Saturday this past weekend first. I promise I will post again shortly (hopefully tonight)with a picture of our darling son.

Wes and I participated in the 10th annual Ozark Greenways Adventure Race. I did the race last year, but this year Wes and another couple joined in on the craziness. The day was truly exhausting both physically and mentally. I am so glad that I only participate in these 1-2 times a year as I don't think it is something that I want to do on a regular basis. The race was very different from last year as the canoe portion was cancelled because of dangerous waters (we had lots of rain) and it focused primarily on orienteering as we had to find 9 flags hidden in the woods. Okay, maybe they weren't "hidden", but at times they sure felt like it. For approximately 4-5 hours we trampled through thorny brush filled woods and fields. You should see our legs as they are covered in scratches from about the knees down. We also did a lot of biking through muddy roads and "un-ridable" horse trails. I felt like I pushed my bike more than I rode it. We all had diarrhea bootys from the mud flying up off our back bike tire and landing on our shorts. It was quite a sight to be seen. Even though I came home and showered shortly after the race, I still have a nice case of poison ivy developing on one of my arms and my legs. Somehow Wes and my teammates seemed to have escaped this tragedy. We finished 30th out of 55 teams and although that doesn't really look like a good finish we are pretty darn proud of ourselves. We managed to pull through the challenges that 2 flat tires and a bike with no brakes presented to us. Wes is pumped and is already looking forward to another event in the fall. I honestly cannot say that I am pumped as I am still trying to recover, but do hope to do one again someday.

Photobucket
Team: Call 911 ~ Wes, Jenny, Crissy, & Matt
Here we are about 6:30 am before the race started. We were there shortly after 5:00 am planning our strategy. I am not sure why we needed to get there so early as our only strategy was to FINISH. The little dots in the picture is rain. We started with rain, but the day ended up being perfect weather for racing.


Photobucket

Photobucket
We finished in just under 10 hours and are excited to be greeted by Jaidyn and Addy.

Photobucket

Photobucket
So glad to be done...parts of the day did not include such big smiles.

Photobucket
My sister's team had a great finish for the day as they finished 9th. They are studs and we just enjoy being in their company.

No comments: